Tuesday, September 24, 2013

pumpkin topiary how-to

Many have commented on the pumpkin topiary from my previous post so I thought I would put the how-to from Southern Living. I wish I had taken pictures when I made it all those years ago, but their description below is pretty easy to follow and I added in my comments and updates in red. It is a pretty simple project and only takes about an hour or so once you have all of your supplies. 


What you will need:
Fall garland/flowers and twine for your base
100 count strand of lights (you could do more, but do not do less)
2-4 yards of ribbon for the topper and swag
newspaper or peanuts  and cardboard for filling - only if your bottom pumpkin doesn't sit directly on the edges of the urn.


Pumpkins With Pizzazz

You'll need to stock up on extra candy--trick-or-treaters won't want to leave this enchanting display.

For years, the grinning jack-o'-lantern has graced front porches across the South, heralding fall and Halloween. This year, put a twist on this tradition with stylish topiaries.
The Basics
First, select a container for your topiary. We used urns, but clay pots would work just as well. (Be sure to weigh down the container with rocks or sand so it doesn't tip easily.) Choose a few nice, round pumpkins in graduated sizes. Make sure the largest one will fit snugly in your container. I used a black urn that I loved. My bottom pumpkin didn't sit directly on the edges so I filled it with newspaper and then used a piece of cardboard to "flatten" out the top so that the pumpkins could sit nicely on it. I also chose to use  craft pumpkins from Michaels in 3 varying sizes so that I could reuse the topiary from year to year.
Creating the Topiary
The center of the topiary should be open so that a single strand of lights can be woven throughout the arrangement. Prepare the base pumpkin as you normally would--cut the top off, and clean out the center; discard the top. Repeat these steps for the center pumpkin, cutting a hole in the bottom so it will rest securely on the base pumpkin. Prepare the top pumpkin by cutting a hole in the bottom only, and then cleaning out the center. It should fit on the center pumpkin. The pumpkins I bought had large holes in the bottom already so I didn't have to cut them and I left the tops on so that they would fit together better. You can easily use a drill and bit to cut out the bottom enough to sit niceley on top of the other pumpkins. It is also better to keep the tops on so that your lights stay in each pumpkin rather than all falling through to the bottom. 
A Little Power
Using a drill with a 5/16-inch drill bit, make holes in a random pattern over all three pumpkins. We used an apple corer for the larger holes. Once you have enough holes for the lights to shine through, it's time to add the final touches. I had my husband's help on this part. :). I drew on the pumpkins with a pencil where I wanted the small and large holes and then he came back with the drill and spade bits to make them. There was no pattern to it, just added here and there. (I would also take a look at the bits you have and choose two  sizes that you think look good - just don't go too big or too small - you need the light strand to go through the largest hole, but you don't want to be able to see the cords. - the spade drill bits are perfect for this as they create a perfect circle.)
Embellishments
Twinkle lights are a safe option for this topiary. Using a 100-count strand of lights, pull the cord through one of the larger holes in the base of the topiary. Spread lights evenly throughout the arrangement as you stack the pumpkins. (Tip: To secure, use florist tape between each layer.) Add a few branches of leaves or vine to the base to finish the arrangement.
I started with the top pumpkin and filled it with lights then strung them down through the middle and then the bottom pumpkin. This is when I actually assembled the topiary. I balanced the pumpkins on top of one another, tested the lighting and then adjusted as needed (it is easy to pull the lights through if one pumpkin needs more light etc.) Once I had the lights the way I wanted I then superglued the pumpkins together so that they were secure. I used the remainder of the lights that were hanging from the bottom pumpkin and strung them through the fall garland I placed at the bottom. The base is a good place to get creative. Add Fall flowers or "picks" to liven it up. I also added a bow and ribbon swag around mine this year to keep it fresh. 
"Pumpkins With Pizzazz" is from the October 2003 issue of Southern Living.
*Please feel free to post questions in the comments section and I will answer the best I can! Good luck and Happy Fall! 
Happy Tuesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment