Thursday, January 23, 2014

black striped curtains

I have wanted black and white striped curtains for a while now! 

love these drapes.
pinterest
Our bedroom is mostly black and white and I have never been able to find just the curtain that I wanted. I had seen horizontal stripes but never in black and white, there are plenty of vertical stripes but that wasn't for me, I am not the best seamstress so I couldn't sew the differnt colored fabrics together. I almost gave up and that is when I came across these painted IKEA drapes. I thought for sure I could do this and so I went and bought these inexpensive curtains knowing that if I totally bombed I wouldn't be out much money!

I started out making 14" stripes using painters tape.


I realized at about this point that I had not taken into consideration the tape and had to start over. Oops! Make sure when you are measuring out your inches that you measure from the top of tape not the bottom and take into account the tape when measuring :)

 Then onto drape two...


This part probably took the longest because I was trying to be exactly even with the first drape. In the big scheme of things it doesn't really matter all that much because if you are like me, you will never fully close the drapes therefore they will never be directly next to eachother. 

Now on to the fun part. Painting! 


I had some flat black paint in the garage I decided to use instead of going out and buying fabric paint. It turned out ok...a little hard, but it got the job done. I also applied the paint using a roller and a spounge brush for the edges. I was so so nervous that the paint was going to bleed through the tape, but it didn't!  It was easy, but time consuming! :)

Here is the finished project...
Betsey approves :) 
In the end for $50 I am VERY pleased with them! They really add to our room and I love having them to look at now! :) 

Happy Thursday! 



No comments:

Post a Comment